Thursday 4 April 2013

Travel Tips You Need to Know When Going Overseas

Hello - I am off to Thailand (phuket) for  8 day Holiday, tomorrow (hallelujah).

These are the steps i take when traveling to be prepared for any attacks on my health. I look at it like this; i only have a weeks holiday (or 2-4 weeks) - so i don't want to get sick and miss out on what i have been looking forward to and saving for, for months.
So being prepared and using prevention is a great investment to my health. Here are my tips to travel 'healthy'.


  1. I like sitting up the front of the plane and my wife get motion sickness - so we book seats at the front end as soon as we can. My wife takes Ginger supplements on the day of travel ( dose as it stipulates on the pack) to help with motion sickness.
  2. One week before flying out i begin taking a supplement called Saccharomyces boulardii - its  a probiotic biotherapeutic agent which supports good gut bacteria and more importantly builds up my resistance to unfriendly bacteria I may ingest while eating on holidays and it also fights against BAD bacteria, if i did pick up a some gastro' problem. I continue taking this every day on my holiday. 
  3. Also i take a broad spectrum Probiotic (good gut flora) every day on holiday. I travel with a heat resistant flora supplement. If for i minute i think i have eaten something 'dodgy' or suspect, i up the dose of this flora and # 2 flora to 2 every hour until OK then back to 1 daily.
  4. I carry an electrolyte tablet with me and only take this if i get gastro problems to resupply lost electrolytes. This is of vital importance if you do pick up a bug causing vomiting or diarrhea. Bottled water does not have electrolytes.
  5. Another addition to helping the immune system while breathing in stale air on planes or virus is Echinacea. I personally take a liquid herb mix in a spray bottle as this is easy to carry and small for convenience but tablets are good too.
  6. Drinking lots of water is important - hydrate the day before and again  before the flight, drink moderate amount during flight so you don't have to get up to go to toilet too often - but drink lots of water when at the hotel to re-hydrate - about 1 litre. 
  7. if you will be needing sun protection - take some natural form of it with you - beware of chemical sunblocks. Zinc is good.
  8. If you have a fear of flying then i suggest Rescue Remedy spray. Recently i had a patient who was so scared of flying she had to get 'drunk' to get on the plane (not recommended)  - I gave her the rescue remedy and some anti anxiety herbs and she traveled with out drinking on her next flight and was so happy to get natural help. 
Bonn Voyage

Philip 

No comments:

Post a Comment